Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz15PkzgnH8

Monday, January 3, 2011

Captivating by John & Stasi Eldredge



A friend gave me this book and so far I've only read a quarter of the way through.  I think I've picked up this book before from the library - the cover looked familiar - but I haven't read it until now.  Timing was right then I suppose.

So far - I am enjoying the book.  It's good to know some of the things I experience as a woman are universal.  It's a great read and I am impressed with how well they describe things woman experience yet without categorizing us all as the same.

Here's some favorite quotes so far:

"I know I am not alone in this nagging sense of failing to measure up, a feeling of not being good enough as a woman.  Every woman I've ever met feels it - something deeper than just the sense of failing at what she does.  An underlying, gut feeling of failing as who she is.  I am not enough, and I am too much at the same time.  Not pretty enough, not thin enough, not kind enough, not gracious enough, not disciplined enough.  But too emotional, too needy, too sensitive, too strong, too opinionated, too messy."  (Amen Brother Ben)

"There is something fierce in the heart of a woman.  Simply insult her children, her man, or her best friend and you'll get a taste of it"  (LOL - and I thought I was unique in this aspect!)

"Sometimes the idea of living as a hermit appeals to all of us.  No demands, no needs, no pain, no disappointment.  But that is because we have been hurt, are worn out.  In our heart of hearts, that place where we are most ourselves, we don't want to run away for very long" (I'm in hermit mode currently)

"So God endows Woman with certain qualities that are essential to relationship, qualities that speak of God.  She is inviting.  She is vulnerable (I work very hard at not being).  She is tender.  She embodies mercy.  She is also fierce and fiercely devoted.  As the old saying goes, "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."  That's just how God acts when he isn't chosen.  "I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God who will not share your affection with any other god!" (Ex. 20:5 NLT).  A woman's righteous jealousy speaks of the jealousy of God for us."  (Never thought of all that before. Lightbulb moment.)

As I said - so far - I'm really enjoying this book.  I usually stick to fiction and have a hard time following through on books like this.  I get distracted easily in the non-fiction world.  However, this one seems to be an exception.  I'll let you know how it finishes up at a later date.  Maybe you should pick up a copy and check it out as well.  At this point, I think it would make a great study.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...