Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz15PkzgnH8

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Still lovin' this book!

I am continuing to read The Happiness Project this week.  I'm telling you - this chick and I - are waaayy to much alike.  I do believe we were separated at birth.  She just cracks me up.

Okay - some more sweet quotes from the book (go buy it - you will not regret it.  I'm bummed my copy is a library copy, meaning it has to go back and I can't mark it all up).

In her chapter "Remember Love" (on marriage):

"Happy people generally are more forgiving, helpful, and charitable, have better self-control, and are more tolerant of frustration than unhappy people, while unhappy people are more often withdrawn, defensive, antagonistic, and self-absorbed.  Oscar Wilde observed, 'One is not always happy when one is good; but one is always good when one is happy'."

"Whatever love I might feel in my heart, others will only see in my actions."

"On the night of the party, before everyone was due to arrive at 6:30 p.m., I began my anxious last-minute tidying.  My mother loves to entertain and from her I inherited a propensity to preparty jitters, which we call 'hostess neurosis'; experienced family members know to drift out of my sight..." (CRACKED me up - that is ME ALL the way!  Finally - a name for the psychosis!)

Commenting on Week of Extreme Nice (read the book):  "It's not right that I show more consideration to my friends or family than to Jaime, the love of my life." (I HATE when I see this in others - yet I realize - I am this person.  Must be why it annoys me so much in other people)

"Too often I focused on the things that annoyed me:  Jamie postponed making scheduling decisions; he didn't answer my e-mails; he didn't appreciate what I do to make our lives run smoothly.  Instead I should have thought about all the things I love about him.  He's kind, funny, brilliant, thoughtful, loving, ambitious, sweet, a good father, son, and son-in-law, bizarrely well informed in a wide range of subjects (lol, so Marty it ain't even funny), creative, hardworking, magnanimous.  He kisses me and says 'I love you,' every night before we go to sleep, he comes to my side at parties and puts his arm around me, he rarely shows irritation or criticizes me.  He even has a full head of hair"  (Like I said, mucho similarities!)

"As the days went by, I did feel a bit of resentment when Jamie never seemed to notice that he was the winner of the Week of Extreme Nice."  (I can so see myself thinking this!)

And that's all the quotes for today folks!  At least for the next couple of hours :)  I do love this book and I am so glad for wherever I saw it (on someones blog I think) in the first place.  It's really making me think!  She talks, repeatedly, about how she shouldn't expect praise or recognition.  It has taken me a while to realize "WOW - that's ME!"  I get really ticked off when people - those in my house particularly - are not falling on their faces in gratefulness for all the stuff I do.  I realize I am a praise sucker - I eat it up big time - but I should never expect it.  I should always give and give and give some more and expect nothing in return.  It's called being a servant of Christ.  If I want the glory here - I'll miss out up there.

Anyway - READ THE BOOK - it's amazing!!

1 comment:

Carol said...

Hi. Enjoyed this post - it made me smile as I could see one or two similarities!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...