Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz15PkzgnH8

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Have you moved in?


Lately I've been reading The Message for my daily devotionals.  Hilarious.  I've read the bible in different versions before - NLT, ESV, NAS - different stuff.  I like to mix it up.  Recently, we had a friend come and stay and she was reading the bible through with The Message.  I've always taken a little bit of an issue with The Message - worrying it's "not really" God's word - but a paraphrase.  However - upon further thought - I have realized - that's a stupid way of thinking (sorry - don't mean to offend anyone!  stupid for me - maybe not you!!).  The reality is, unless you can read the original in Greek or Hebrew - well - it's all some sort of a translation.  I will admit, however, that I did spend the first week reading it both in The Message and NLT - 'cause - well - I just wanted to check it over a bit.  ANYWAY.  The final conclusion is, it's very close and merely speaks in a language we speak today.  Yes, it is a paraphrase as the author states - but it's close, at least to the NLT. 

Moving along!  Like I said - it's hilarious.  I don't know why it cracks me up the way it does - but some days - I'm just busting a gut reading my bible.  Who would've thunk it??  Might I point out - it's FUN to laugh and smile while being in the presence of God!!  Yet another marvelous thought - smack me upside the head!

Whew.  I'm way off task today. 

Okay - that all literally has nothing to do with the title.  Today I read this from John 1:

"The word became flesh and blood and moved into the neighborhood"

WOW!  That's such a cool way of looking at things!!  And suddenly - I was reminded of one of my 40 in 40 goals - have a neighborhood barbecue (which, I hope when it happens, someone actually shows up - lol!!).  And I thought - THAT'S what it means!!  Not have a neighborhood barbecue - but when you moved into your neighborhood - did you become the flesh and blood - not of yourself - but of Jesus??

I have to admit - I haven't.  I like my privacy.  Maybe a little too much.  I like not knowing our neighbors.  I know them a little - and I will say - I have great neighbors.  On one side of me, an elderly lady who never complains about the balls constantly flying over her fence, and a 14 year old boy jumping her fence to get them.  On the other, a young man and his brother and a host of other people that come and go.  Nice enough, we say hello on occasion, help each other out on occasion - but I've never been in his house, and he's never been in mine.  Across the street - well - that's a challenge but Praise Jesus - that has improved as the kids have grown.  Kitty Corner - that's the neighbors we see most cause our kids hang out.  Kitty corner the other way - we don't know them but their son is a scrap metal guy and took an old dishwasher for us once.  Another neighbor is Mexican - and you KNOW we love that.  (We're taking over the neighborhood - watch out! Lol - Just kidding).  Another neighbor is a children's or youth pastor and although we have the occasional wave, again, never been in each other's house.  One neighbor down the road wants our old beat up van.  Another neighbor, somewhere on this street, actually OWNS the road - or it was named after her or something.

WOW.  I am LONG WINDED today!  The whole point is this.  I know OF them - but I do not know them.  I don't know what they struggle with, I don't know their burdens, I don't know what makes them happy.  I don't know the names of their kids, whether they've ever served our country in the military.  I don't know what they like to eat or drink or what they like to do for fun.  And the saddest part?  They do not know the Jesus in me because I haven't been Jesus.  I've moved in - but I have not become flesh and blood - not really - not enough.

What about you?  Have you moved in?  Have you become flesh and blood?  It's never too late.  Never.  I think I might have to start walking the street and praying for my neighbors, have my neighborhood barbecue - and put some feet and flesh to the Jesus in me.  Who will join me?

2 comments:

MelissaDaams said...

I think about that stuff a lot. I don't really know my neighbors either - and we live very close - in row houses here... so i can sometimes here them... peeing in the middle of the night, sewing, that's on the one side where our bathrooms are closest. on the other side we share the stairs on the same wall. i hear the kids go up and down and sometimes slamming doors.

We take them some goodies and Christmastime.

Other neighbors in the neighborhood i don't know so well.

do they know I'm Christian? Probably. They know we get up early every Sunday, in our Sunday best and leave for a few hours before we return. That's usually a dead giveaway.

We try to be friendly... that's the best you can do - lead by example.

Unknown said...

Wow, Tami. When I got back to my parent's house after my visit with you, the weather was so nice that I took off for a walk around the neighborhood... and I felt the Lord telling me the exact same things He's been telling you apparently. :) So, yes, without knowing you, I've joined you in walking the neighborhood and praying for my neighbors... introducing myself as I get a chance... and I want to have a neighborhood barbecue. :) Love how He speaks to His kids. Love walking this walk with others, too! <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...