Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz15PkzgnH8

Thursday, August 18, 2011

God - you are AMAZING!!

Hola amigos :)  Today - has been a good day.  Thought I would share it with you, my faithful readers.

First - for those of you who didn't know, my little man, despite his best and amazing efforts, did not make the soccer team up at his new school.  He tried hard, scored some goals - but he didn't make it.  There were 80-100 kids trying out for a whopping 38 spots.  I imagine he did well, but it's hard to get noticed with numbers like that.  It was tough stuff for him.  All he's ever wanted to do was play high school ball - and now - that's not going to happen, at least not for this year.  That was hard to take.  At this point last week, he'd decided he wasn't playing soccer - ever again.  That was really too bad - because - he is very talented.  Remember, I'm not just his Mom, but a varsity soccer coach for 15 years, twice a coach of the year.  I know my soccer and I know the kid is more talented than your average joe. 

Anywho - so.  We've been working through all this.  What do you tell a kid who has poured almost everything he is into something and now - not only is he moving to a new school - but - he has had the one thing he loves, esentially (in his mind), taken away?  That's hard when your 15.  WE know he is more than soccer - but convincing HIM of that - it's been a challenge.

After the tryouts, we headed up to his Grandparents.  Needed to get him out of town, away from the kids from his old school who were all finding out what team they had made.  It was good to get away and gain some perspective.

While away, I received an e-mail from the Special Olympics coordinator for our county.  Last, oh, March, or so, I had contacted them to see if they had any openings for coaching soccer.  They didn't.  They only had a team and they had a coach already.  They also played in the fall.  Back in March, Marty was still the varsity coach locally and we had no idea Jon would be enrolled in another district.  That pretty much eliminated the possibility of us coaching SO.  The last day of being up north, I got word from the coordinator that they had a second team - and they needed a coach.  Well - I don't believe in coincidences.  I believe in God-incidences - and I can't deny that this - was an act of God.

Another opportunity has also opened up.  If you are a reader of my blog, you know we work with something called The Daughter Project.  Marty does some speaking for them, I have worked on the website and done some different stuff with them.  The house is almost built and the girls will be coming soon.  I wanted to be a mentor - but with working this fall, Jon playing soccer, Marty coaching - etc - I knew I wouldn't be able to do it - so I didn't apply and they filled all the positions.  I also got an e-mail last week from Jeff, the director of The Daughter Project.  A position opened up - that I now have time for.

We're also going to make it to Guatemala next summer on a missions trip with something called Champions in Action - teaching soccer to kids in soccer.

When God shuts one door - sometimes He throws open others.  I have no doubt in my mind that all of these things are of God.  Jon will be helping us coach the Special Olympics team.  He will be able to take his love for the sport - and his compassion for people - and combine them.

Finally - this morning - we had this conversation:

Jon:  Mom - your going running with me.
Me:  I'm not running buddy, I'll start by walking.
Jon:  But Mom, I have to train.
Me:  For what?
Jon:  For soccer - I'm not quitting.  I'm going to train and try out again next fall.

Last night we watched Soul Surfer.  I didn't think the kid was paying any attention at all.  I was wrong.  As a side note - if you haven't watched the movie - you should.  Sometimes life is hard and God is not understandable - but - as the word says - He takes ALL things and turns them for His good.

Today we also got an opportunity to serve with The Lewis House, packing backpacks for kids stufed with school supplies.  We'll be handing them out on Saturday to kids who need them.

Sometimes - when things hurt - we just need to pour our lives into others.  I don't know what it is about that - but it makes you feel - fulfilled.  It feels good to help others.

Okay - this has gotten longer than I wanted and far more scattered than I planned on.  Sorry - the boys need my help with something so I'll have to be more coherent in a different post :)

God is good!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...