Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz15PkzgnH8

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Child Advocacy

As some of you know, we have a child who is LD or learning disabled.  You wouldn't know it by looking at him.  He's a cute "little" bugger (and all the girls know it), athletic and outgoing.  That's part of the struggle for us - he doesn't "look" the part (as if LD should have some kind of look to it).

Throughout his school years, we have had some really awesome teachers.  Jon's Kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Sherwood was the first one to clue us in to the beginning of what we would deal with over the years.  Mrs. Lockwood - who died last year of breast cancer - was Jon's first grade teacher.  She was incredible - helped us to know the best ways to work with our son.  Mr. Moore, Jon's 4th grade teacher - another amazing teacher.  He helped Jon by moving with him - taking him outside and throwing footballs with him, letting him walk around the room - yet expecting more from him than Jon expected from himself.  His IEP team in the elementary years who helped form the accommodations Jon would need to be successful in school.  Over the years, Jon has had some terrific people in his life (more than mentioned here) who have taught him how to learn and for those people - we are so incredibly grateful.

Throughout the years, we have also had those who were not looking out for Jon's best interests.  No, I'm not going to name them here. Those who have fought us, fought Jon, every step of the way.  Those who do not want to be inconvenienced by the accommodations they are required by law to follow.  Those who seem intent on not recognizing his disabilities - but instead want to label him as lazy & irresponsible - or worse yet - a bad kid. Those who have stuck him in the corner with the "bad kids" because he was "one of them".  They have taught me something else - how to advocate for my child.

If you have a child who is learning disabled - let me encourage you.  You are your child's biggest fan, his greatest asset.  Even though you may not come from a educational background the way my husband does - you can learn.  You have rights, your child has rights.  I encourage you to do everything you can to educate yourself on those rights - and fight for your child when necessary.  Don't be intimidated.

I love my little guy.  I am determined to see him have a successful educational experience.  It does not always make me well liked - and I think at times, I am talked about in the teachers lounge and office. Often times I am looked at as if I can't see my child's weaknesses & as if I'm getting the wool pulled over my eyes.  But if I don't fight for my child, who will?

Be your child's greatest advocate.  If you need any advise on how to do this - how to work with the system (and sometimes against it), what an IEP or 504 plan is - ask.  We'll try to answer your questions as best we can or at least direct you to someone who can.  Be informed, be educated.  Regardless of what anyone tells you - you know your child better than anyone else.  Do what you can to help them enjoy their school years and get the most they can out of it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...