Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz15PkzgnH8

Monday, January 17, 2011

Parenting with Balance

Today I was listening to a popular Christian talk show on the radio.  One specific thing stuck in my head.  One of the people talking said he used to sit his daughter on his lap and say "Jenny, you are a sinner!" and she would respond "yeah daddy, I know."  I wasn't entirely sure if he was kidding or serious - but it got me thinking.

That's one extreme - if he was serious.  I would never sit my kids down and say "you stink, you dirty rotten little person you!  You never do anything right!".  I don't know if he meant it that way - but it was the picture in my head the minute he said it.  On the other hand - I believe our generation - maybe in retaliation to that type of parenting - has swung the other way.  Coach any team and you'll find out real quick that 99% of parents think their kids are the best thing the world has to offer - and the kids think it too.  Just sit their child for a few minutes & both child & parent will make it very clear what they feel about their personal talents in comparison to everyone else!

There has to be balance in parenting.  I want my kids to know I do think they are the best kids in the world!  I love them, I cherish them, I want them to know I wouldn't want any other child as my kid.  I also want them to know I realize they make mistakes.  They are not perfect.  They are talented, smart, adorable - but not without flaws.  If I build them up to think they are the best thing since sliced bread - then they begin to become arrogant and prideful and without need of God.  On the other hand, if I don't build them up enough - they become angry, defiant and give up trying to please me - or God.

Like so many things in life - I believe we need to be balanced in our parenting.  I want my kids to know I don't expect perfection.  If they are going to make mistakes - I would rather they made them now - here - while I am around to guide them back in the right direction.  I do love them more than anything and nothing they could ever do would change my love for them.  There are days I don't like their behavior a whole lot - but I never stop loving them.

Balanced parenting.  What do you think?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...