Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz15PkzgnH8

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sex offenders in church?

I came across this article today.  This has always been a difficult topic for me - so bear with me while I work some things out.

I know there are sex offenders in our churches today.  Some have been caught - most have not.  Statistics show that 1 out of 5 girls and 1 out of 10 boys are sexually abused.  That statistic is both inside and outside of the church.  It's deceptive because most sexual abuse is not reported - so realistically speaking, the statistic is higher than that.

Obviously I'm going to be overly sensitive.  You can't have a childhood like mine and not, at least at some point, think that sex offenders don't belong in church and in fact, deserve to burn in hell.  Sorry - maybe that sounds harsh - but it's something you have to work through.  At one time in my life, I would have told you the last place a sex offender belonged was in church.  I would have told you they didn't deserve the grace and mercy Jesus offers us and heaven was not a place they belonged.  I guess I thought I was God :)

I have changed my viewpoint - but it's still a touchy subject.  Church is my safe place.  It's my kids safe place.  To think I could be sitting anywhere near a sex offender makes me want to hurl or hurl something.  Church is where I let down my guard - be myself.  It is a place where my walls are not built as high as in other parts of my life.  It's a place where I feel I should be able to trust those around me to have my best interests and the best interests of my family at heart.

Yet - at the same time - I have to admit something else.  I am no better than a sex offender.  That's right - you heard me correctly.  I'm a firm believer in the verse in the bible where it says if you harm a child, it's better to tie a rock around your neck and throw yourself as fast and as far as possible into the deepest, coldest, darkest, shark infested waters you can find.  Okay, okay - that's not exactly what it says :-)  But it does imply that Jesus does not take too kindly to people who harm children - and in that - I find great comfort.

Having said that - I also understand a greater truth.  Most sex offenders - were victims at one time in their lives.  All sex offenders are devil driven and demon possessed.  No, I have no biblical backing for that statement - but I believe in order to  do something so horrific to a child - you've got to be one messed up soul.  The devil takes great delight in harming children.  The only way a sex offender is going to change  is by the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.  A true transformation - not just words to get themselves out of prison or whatever - but a sincere gut wrenching change because of a relationship with Jesus Christ.  A complete and total turn around - a 180 in another direction.

So - back to the original statement.  Sex offenders in church.  Read the article - I believe it has a lot of truth to it.  I still don't know entirely how I feel about this.  On one hand, I feel they need to be in church more than most of us - and on the other - I have to admit - it's a tough pill for me to swallow.  Real tough.  All I know is I'm glad I'm not a Pastor in a position to have to make this decision.  The responsibility to protect the flock, the children - is great.  The last thing a church needs is to have something horrific happen especially knowing a sex offender was in attendance.

Like I said though in the beginning-  the reality is - even if we don't have any "known" offenders in our church - our churches still have offenders.  It is always our responsibility as parents to be aware, to follow our gut instincts, and to check up/check in on our children.  Be wise, be smart and talk to your kids.  If they ever tell you someone touched them or made them uncomfortable - listen - and respond.  Don't ignore, don't blow it off, don't wait for another day - listen - believe - and act.  In or out of the church.

How do you feel about this?

1 comment:

Jennie Joy said...

I just read the article you linked to. This is something I haven't really thought about.

I grew up with sex offenders attending my church. Nobody knew they were hurting kids (except the kids they hurt) until it came out years later. I was sexually abused by men in the church, but never AT church, so I didn't really associate church with the abuse (though I hated the hypocritical way these men flaunted their spiritual authority when people's eyes were on them... fortunately I knew the verse about the millstone, so I was pretty happy that God was a safe place for a hurting kid like me...).

So, while I've certainly thought about sex offenders in the church, what I have never thought about was the issue that the article you linked to addressed: church policies in relation to convicted sex offenders.

If I bring it home and think about what would happen if the men who abused kids at our church wanted to come back (neither of them still attend- and one is in prison), then, yes, I think the sign of their repentant hearts postured in humility would be that they submit to policies like the one the man wrote about in that article.

Policies, however, like any rules, are never able to produce the same results as relationships. So, in addition to the boundaries set in place for that person, there would need to be people who would surround that man in sincere, loving, intensive accountability and discipleship.

I FIRMLY believe that God can absolutely set us free from our sin and addiction so that not even a stain remains on us. He can so totally heal and restore us that we don't even carry signs of the former ways we walked. This ALWAYS happens in deep places of the heart, however, not through imposed rules. An internal change is needed, although internal changes are hard to monitor with our external vision. ;)

In saying that, I speak with hope that the Holy Spirit would guide the church and those surrounding that person with keen discernment to recognize heart-healing and change and begin to release the person into the fullness of the restoration that the Lord would bring... that when the former sex-offender is walking with a healthy soul and pure mind, exemplifying the fruits of the Spirit, and submitting to accountability and leadership, the church would be able to trust the Lord that God is indeed able to keep this man/woman from stumbling and preserve him/her faultless until the coming of Christ (Jude 24).

Tricky paths to walk... but with God all things are possible! May His perfect love drive out our fear in relating to even those our flesh desires earnestly to hate.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...