Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz15PkzgnH8

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Having a teachable spirit

Recently I was "talking" (via e-mail) with a friend (Hi Jan!) when I made this comment about the Amish "I wish I could get to know an Amish family.  I would love to learn about what they believe and why they believe it.  I think I could learn from them, and they from me."

I've always enjoyed learning about other cultures, other people, foreign or otherwise.  I am interested in what makes people tick.  I love to learn about how they feel about God, about politics, about our country, their country.  I love to try their foods, learn their language.  I love people (well sometimes I struggle with that but we'll leave that alone for now!!) and I especially love how God made us all different.  He sure is a creative God and if you look around at His people - you will see that!

I get frustrated with people who like things the same all the time.  I think it's incredibly boring if you don't like to try new foods.  I think it's ignorant to not be willing to learn about where someone else comes from.  I think it's rude to not try to pronounce names the way they are meant to be said.  I think it's UNGODLY to judge people based on their skin color, their economic status, their language, their country of origin, their religion.  I think it's horrible to choose not to like someone you don't know just because you are afraid of the unknown.

I always, always, always want to have a teachable spirit.  I always want to love people right where they are at.  I always want to learn - to have a teachable heart.  I think it's important and I think it's Christ-like.

I am not threatened by the beliefs of others.  I embrace a conversation about what I believe and why I believe it.  I want to learn about how others think - so I can learn more about what I believe.

Life is too short to be stuck and static.  We should always be growing in our faith, growing in our knowledge, growing in our love for others.  Life wasn't meant to be lived in our own little box.  Learn about this world we live in - try something new - get to know someone different.  You'll be so glad you did :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...