Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz15PkzgnH8

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Where are the fathers?

Today as we were driving home from Jimmy Johns we got in a discussion about this topic.

My "little" man was commenting on the prevalence of Jr. high boys that ask girls for naked pictures and jr high girls who actually take them - and send them to everyone in their contact list.  No kidding. 

Where are the fathers?  Where are the fathers to speak to their sons on what is appropriate and what isn't?  Where are the fathers checking their sons phone to make sure nothing like that has made it's way to their phone?

Even more so - where are the fathers who train their daughters how to be a young lady?  How to act like a young lady, talk like a young lady - and keep themselves covered.  Where are the fathers who teach their daughters about pureness and innocence?  Where are the fathers who protect their daughters from the predators?

I see a sad thing.  I think it's our generation - those raising teens now - in our late 30's to late 40's - that have done a serious disservice to our children.  We're not there.  Maybe we're not bad parents - abusive or whatever - but we're absent.  Many times I see my generation so intent on fulfilling their needs and desires and wants that their kids are left out in the cold.

Let me ask you this Dad.  How many hours are you putting in at work?  Are you home taking your daughter out for breakfast or lunch?  Taking her on "dates" to show her how she should expect a man to treat her?  Are you more concerned with the cars, the boats, the vacations - than you are about raising your child?  Yes, quality time matters - but so does quantity.

I'll tell you what I see.  I see a generation of people who care more about their toys than their children.  I see a generation more concerned about time with their friends than about the friends their kids are hanging out with.  I see a generation working more and more and being in the home less and less.  I see a very selfish generation.

Is that what you want for your beautiful daughter?  Do you want her to fall and give in when some hormone filled boy asks her for naked pictures?  Or do you want her to realize her true beauty and not succumb to the pressure?  It's up to you Dad - it really is.  Teach her what she's worth - by being there for her.  That way when some moron asks her for inappropriate pictures - she'll say what my daughter said "I'd punch 'em in the throat!" (Okay so she's a bit violent but you get the point!)

I'm not saying all dad's in our generation are bad.  My husband is an amazing Dad and I know lots of other amazing Dad's - but obviously, if there are lots of girls at our Jr. high who have taken naked pictures of themselves and handed them out like candy - then we have a problem.  At least here, in our town.  Sounds to me like there is a lot of work to be done to raise Godly men and Godly women and to help those who need some love and guidance.

My point is this.  It's not about where you go on vacation, what car you drive or how big your house is.  It doesn't matter if you put in 12 hour work days and you think your finished there.  Your not.  Your children - both our sons and our daughters - are crying out for your love, your attention, your affection.  The cost is too big not to pay attention.

1 comment:

jjustinr said...

I love this. You hit the head on the nail with this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...