Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz15PkzgnH8

Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11

In 2 hours, it will officially be 10 years since a day that changed our lives here in the USA forever.  In tribute to those who lost their lives, to those who have fought since and for the families of the victims, I thought I would share what that day was like for me - many, many hours from New York.

Let me back up a bit.  I don't know if most of you this know this - but I am originally from New York City.  I was born there.  I don't remember it but I have still have relatives there.  Even though I don't sound like a New Yorker and don't know if I ever have - I still have a fond place in my heart for New York.

On that day, I was in an exercise class at Lifestyles which is actually no longer in existence.  I was stretching, class was just finishing up.  Someone ran into the gym and yelled frantically that our country was under attack and New York had just been hit.

It was a surreal moment and it still is.  When you live in a country that knows no war on it's home territory - at least not in my lifetime - it just doesn't seem real.  It didn't then, and it doesn't now.

I left class and drove home, still unwilling to believe we were "under attack."  Surely this woman had lost her mind and was exaggerating.  It wasn't possible, was it?

The kids were both at school and Marty at work.  I came home, turned on the t.v. and stared in utter disbelief at what I was seeing.  The lady was right.  At this point, the first tower had been hit and I sat in utter horror watching TV as the second tower was hit.  I watched the people run down the street in panic.  I watched people jump to their deaths.  My heart grew afraid, the tears rolling down my face.  It still didn't seem real.

Then reality kicked in.  Get the kids.  Get the husband.  Get away from the city.  Now.  Knowing that in panic moments, especially those involving my kids, sometimes I can get carried away, I called my hubby at work.  If I remember correctly, he hadn't heard yet.  I remember staring at the TV talking with him asking him if I should go get the kids and if we should get north to my parents.

The rest of the day is a blur.  I remember Marty said to leave the kids at school because they didn't need panicked parents flooding the hallways and causing chaos in the school.  I remember not being able to leave the TV - watching everything as it unfolded live.  I remember watching the first tower collapse, and then the second.  I remember the eerie silence of no planes in the skies for days.  I remember wondering if there was more to come.  I remember it took days - weeks - to stop watching the footage over and over and over again.  I remember getting to the point where I had to stop and turn the TV off - no more.  I couldn't do it anymore.

The kids were young and not able to understand.  We tried to keep life as normal as possible.  It was a new way to live.  I still get nervous at the airport and watch people with scrutiny in a way I never did before.

Life changed on 9/11.  I was more proud of my country in the days that followed than ever before.  I was more proud of being born in the city that stands more than ever before.  The terrorists only succeeded in waking a giant.  A giant of proud Americans - of all colors, of all races, or all religions - all coming together for the common good of our country.  Flags flew, people were patriotic.  I miss that.

I can't believe it has been 10 years.  Sure doesn't seem like it.  We have moved on.  We have moved forward.  Yet all it takes is 2 seconds of footage to bring it all back.

Thanks again to the men and women who risked their lives that day and in the days to follow to maintain our freedom.  Thank you to the families who lost their loved ones on that day - for they, too, sacrificed for our great nation.  We will never forget.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...