Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz15PkzgnH8

Thursday, September 22, 2011

My scrap happy man


This post is about scrapping.  No - this is not my yard - not yet anyway.

No, we're not talking about scrapping as in photo albums and cute pictures - but metal scrapping.

Years ago, when we were first married - Marty was slightly addicted to soccer.  It's not like it was a HUGE addiction or anything - he merely played in 4 different leagues and between practices and games, was gone - on average - 10 nights a week.  (Yes, I do realize there are not 10 nights in a week).  He has since grown (and busted his leg and gotten - uh - older - more mature) and doesn't play soccer hardly ever anymore.  Actually, I feel bad about the limited opportunities he has to play 'cause I think he really misses it.

NOT THE POINT.

Well - moving along from addiction to addiction.....

A couple of years ago, our neighbor offered to take a dishwasher off our hands.  We happily and naively agreed.  Fortunately it never dawned on either of us that there was a reason he wanted that dishwasher.

I'm trying to remember when it all started in earnest.  What was it that made him turn the corner from naivete to what we now have?  Ah, I don't know.

The point is this.  He is no longer addicted to soccer.  He is, however, addicted to scrap metal.

He got himself a trailer.  I want to paint it pink - but he's just not feeling the pink vibe.  I mean, come on, how COOL would it be to have a neon pink trailer with J & M or some catchy name on the side of it pulling behind my blazer???  We have settled on black and one of these days, I will surprise him when he comes home from work and it will be all duded (as in dude - ed ) up.

He and Jon need a 12 step recovery program at this point.  The rule is NO SCRAPPING with Mom in the car.  Seriously - I am totally embarrassed by it!  We can never get from point A to point B anymore without stopping to check out someones trash.  It's HUMILIATING.  But - they are happy.  Happy Scrappers.  (WAIT - That should be their catchy business phrase!  It's not AT ALL female or anything!!)

He spends hours - and I do mean hours - tearing crap apart.  There is always something strewn all over my house or my front yard that he is disassembling looking for a motor, copper, aluminum, etc.  He has a special magnet he uses to see what kind of metal it is.  He READS full websites to learn more info.  He talks the ears off the people at the scrap yard to get more info. He's like a kid at Christmas on the days he goes to the scrap yard.  And now my son is no different.

Okay - I'll be honest.  I kinda do like the little extra cash that comes our way here and there - and it  is something he finds relaxing.  If he's happy - then I'm happy.

I wish I would have thought to take a picture to share with you all.  I will - eventually.

The very first trip to the scrap yard - I think it was the first trip anyway - scrapping was just not as fun as it is now for him.  The trailer came unhitched - and smashed THROUGH the back of the blazer.  We didn't make any money that day - that's for sure.

There really is no point to this post except to tease my scrap happy man.  It's a good thing I like him so much and think he's so incredibly handsome.  The moral of the story is this - don't let your husband anywhere near metal.  Since not a lot of men read my blog - don't let your man know there is money to made either.  Trust me :)

Wait - wait a minute - one more thing - IF your man does decide to scrap metal - before you go to the scrap yard the first time with him - learn some self defense.  I swear every person there is a former or current convict.  I kid you not . I've never seen so many toothless men in my entire life.  If the police pulled in - I can guarantee you a scrap yard would become deathly silent in a matter of seconds because everyone would flee :)

Love you Marty :)


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...