Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz15PkzgnH8

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Praying for you Marzieh

If there were a way I could protest this - I would.  You can see the full article HERE.  Basically, Actress Marzieh Vafamehr of Iran has been arrested and sentenced to 90 lashes for:

"Vafamehr often appears with a shaved head and no headscarf in the film, which also explores cultural oppression in Iran and taboos such as drug use," the paper said."

There is so much I could say.  If not for the seriousness of the punishment - hearing "90 lashes" is almost laughable in American culture.  I can NOT imagine living in a country that gives people "90 lashes" for appearing in a movie.  In our culture, we celebrate people appearing in movies - its a good thing - not a bad thing.  (Well most movies - but your appearance in ANY movie would not result in "lashes")

It also breaks my heart because the very real issue here is this talented women is about to be beat, if she hasn't been already.  Beaten for questioning a culture that degrades and destroys women.  Beaten for trying to make the world aware.  I just don't understand it.  It's so wrong.

I know there is no chance this women would ever read my blog - but if there are others like her that are reading it - know I am praying for you.  Praying for your strength, praying for courage.  Praying for boldness.  Praying for change in your country.  Praying for a day the value of women will be celebrated in Iran.  Praying for the day you will see your worth in Jesus Christ.

There's really not much else to say.  I'm sorry Marzieh for what has happened.  I'm sure you knew ahead of time the possible consequences.  Good for you for standing anyway.  Keep up the good work.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...