Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz15PkzgnH8

Friday, March 25, 2011

Circle of Protection

Psalm 34:7 says "The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them."

Tonight, we got to experience this one first hand.

I won't say where we were exactly - but we decided to check out a new restaurant in Toledo.  Although I am a New York city "native" technically - I don't consider myself a city girl.  More city than some - but not as city as others.  I can hold my own - but I wouldn't consider myself overly "street wise".

SO.  We arrive at this restaurant.  It's not in the best part of town, but it's also not in a part of town we know to be unsafe.  We park, behind the restaurant, which you have to get through by going through a very narrow alley.  Once you get to the parking lot - it's small, there is no escape.  It was surrounded by chain link fence. 

We walk in the restaurant.  I kid you not - every head turned.  Let's put it this way.  Very rarely am I in a situation where I am in the minority.  I was okay with being the minority (and in fact, it does us all good to experience that) - but in this place, I was very out of place.  I was glowing I was so white!  It was noisy - and then it got deadly quiet.  Everyone stared.  E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E.  Not a friendly stare either.  A "you don't belong here" stare.  The hostility was thick.  We had to walk all the way through the restaurant to go to the back counter.  It was like red carpet time, only no one was taking pictures, and no one was wanting us there. One foot in front of the other, pretend you don't notice the stares, and act like you know what your doing.

We didn't get the best reception from the back counter.  We went and found a seat.  I realize I'm not the only one who's nervous - so is my husband.  Who is not white.  It is then I realize we have a problem.  If Marty is nervous - that's not a good sign.  It's also when I realized I don't believe the hostility had anything to do with the color of my skin - but the simple fact that we didn't belong and it was pretty obvious.

We sat for a while and Marty said "we can leave anytime you want" (still no service).  I say "no, I think we better sit this one out for a a few and see what happens."  I was concerned if we went running to the parking lot, we would look scared and that might make matters worse. If I've learned anything - I've learned this.  Never show your fear.   At this point, there was a 6'7, 250 pound massive man watching me from across the restaurant.  I'm 40 and not the looker (ha ha ha) I used to be - I really don't get hit on all that often, and I don't get the look-you-up-and-down thing either.  Well - I was getting it - enough so that I was more than uncomfortable.  I really wanted to go wipe the look on his face off with my fist, but I stayed quiet (besides, I think my fist would have just bounced off his face.)

Anyway - as Psalm 34:7 say - the angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers him.  We eventually got service, eventually got our food.  The true test was going to come in leaving, where I was afraid we were going to get cornered in that parking lot.  However, just as we were paying our bill, someone noticed the shirt Marty was wearing - a soccer jersey - and suddenly - the atmosphere changed.  It went from hostile to welcoming in a very short amount of time.  It helped that Marty had visited the country these folks were from as well.  And, it just so happened, not only had Marty visited the country - but he had been in the very restaurant one of them used to frequent when living there.  Gotta love God's sense of humor sometimes :)

By the end of the night - we were invited to party with them tomorrow evening starting at 10:30 p.m. and going until "at least 4 in the morning".  Lol.  Let me point out too that it was stated "and bring your wife along" as I was being, again, looked up and down.  Yeah - I don't think we'll be attending the party - but hey - in the end - we made it out to the parking lot and in our car without being mugged or worse.

Marty and I have been in some tight spots before.  We've done enough stuff in the inner city to know when we're maybe not in the safest position - but I had never felt the hostility I felt tonight when we walked in that door.  I have never felt so out of place, so objectified, well, since I was a child.  But - the Lord encamps around us.  The Lord protects us.  The Lord gives us wisdom.  The Lord keeps us calm and shows us how to handle the tough situations.

I am thankful tonight for His deliverance.  I am thankful for a husband that figured out how to change the environment for our personal safety.  I am thankful for the sport of soccer that broke the ice and turned us from people to be beat up to people to play soccer with!! I am thankful to be back home.

And yes - we will go back there.  During the day.  Without the kids - but we will go back.  We will trust the Lord to deliver us again - but we will go and maybe - just maybe - instead of being invited to a party where the alcohol and other things would be flowing - we can invite them to a heavenly party and introduce them to our Savior. 

Plus the food - was really good :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...