Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz15PkzgnH8

Monday, September 12, 2011

What a difference a year makes

Tonight I went to capsule night at my son's new school - also Marty's place of employment.  Who knew a year ago that I would be traveling the halls of Pioneer following my son's schedule?  Not me.

I've always been happy with Marty working there.  Of course there have been bumps and challenges along the way - but by in large, the support Marty receives as a teacher is tremendous.  I don't try to hide the fact that here, in the community we live in (at least in the school system arena), we are not welcome in a lot of places and by a lot of people - but there, in Ann Arbor, Marty is well-liked, well-respected and is considered one of the best teachers your child could have.

Because of the bad experience we have had here for the past 2 years of Jon's schooling, it's hard for me not to have a negative attitude about school in general.  It's hard for me not to be on the defensive and not to expect the worst.  It's hard for me to grasp that there are teachers (and a majority) who love my child, who want the best for my child and want nothing more than to see him succeed.

Tonight was incredible.  Jon truly has an amazing group of teachers - all of which we were able to hand pick - because that's just how things are done in Ann Arbor.  Because they care.  Every teacher talked about how much they cared about the kids, about how much they wanted them to succeed.  Every teacher talked about respect for each other, about having a family atmosphere in their classrooms, about the diversity and the acceptance of each other.  Every one talked about how the students will learn from each other and how they (the teachers) are learning from them (the students).

As I shook the hand of each teacher, I realized we have begun a new era.  One in which I, too,  will have to learn and grow.  One in which I will also learn to expect the best people can and do give, and not the worst.  I, too, will have to learn not to look at people with skepticism and realize not everyone is out to hurt you or your child.  Jon is growing, and so am I.

So - thank you Ann Arbor Public Schools.  That kind of care and concern starts at the top and filters down.  Thank you for caring about students and not just about test scores, blue ribbons, personal agendas and academia. Thank you.  I am more than excited to watch my child grow, learn - flourish - in your hallways.  For once - I am excited about school and community.  Thank you.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...