Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz15PkzgnH8

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Give Thanks


Our Special Olympics season is almost over.  It has been a joy.  I will miss the players and look forward to next fall.  I fulfilled a goal I had on my bucket list - something to do before you "kick the bucket".  I have learned much.  I have received more hugs than I have given.  I came to teach - but instead, I was taught.  I came to give joy and instead, was filled to overflowing.  It has been a great ride and I am very thankful this opportunity arose. 

I received a Thank You from one of the players that I would like to share with you.  It was in regards to the walk-a-thon we did.  Marty and I stuck with 2 players who maybe took a little longer than others.  This thank you was from one of them.  It came on a postcard with a team picture.  His Mom helped him write the thank you. Here's what it said:

Hello Friends and Family,
I could not have asked for a perfect day.  The weather was beautiful.  I walked 2 miles with some of my fellow athletes and coaches.  We had a great time!  Music, car show, food and good friends.
Thank you so much for supporting me in my fundraising efforts. (I'm pretty sure this part was written by Mom!).  Our goal of 5,000 was reached.  The athletes will be sporting new uniforms and participating in more tournaments.
I am blessed to have such great friends, family and a supporting community.
Thank You,
(name withheld)

It was a beautiful day.  We enjoyed walking with this player.  I was amazed at how well they did.  One of our players sprinted an entire 5 miles.  Another player walked 5 miles.  All players walked at least 2.5 miles.  And they say kids with downs can't do anything.  I disagree.  Anyone - can do anything - they set their minds to.  These players will teach you that.  If ever you doubt - spend some time with Special Olympics kids.  They will teach you that with hard work and desire - nothing is impossible.  They do it with a smile on their face, a kindness you can't not begin to understand until you work with them, and heart that most of us don't have.

So today, the thank you really goes to our players.  Tonight is our last official game before State Finals.  It has been a terrific ride.  Thank you for accepting us, for allowing us to teach you - and for teaching us along the way.  We love you guys :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...